Lamaze International offers a variety of resources to help you prepare for the certification exam.
Lamaze Exam Blueprint
The Lamaze Exam Blueprint contains valuable information on the competencies assessed on the exam as well as their respective weights.
Our trainers are among the most highly skilled childbirth educators in the world, and a Lamaze-Accredited Childbirth Educator Seminar is the gold standard for training new childbirth educators. You’ll learn how to teach creative, hands-on childbirth education for Millennials and Gen Z, all based on the highest quality evidence. You may already know a lot about birth, but our trainers will teach you how to teach.
Lamaze Learning Guide
The Lamaze Learning Guide is a self-study resource designed to help you develop the competencies of a Lamaze Certified Childbirth Educator. It prepares you to teach the essential content for Lamaze classes and will continue to serve as an important reference for evidence-based information throughout your professional career.
The Lamaze Toolkit for Childbirth Educators, one of the primary core readings referenced in the Lamaze Learning Guide, is included with your purchase of the Learning Guide. The Lamaze Toolkit is a curriculum guide developed specifically for Lamaze educators to enhance their own course design and teaching skills. The Lamaze Toolkit covers the Lamaze fundamentals for pregnancy, birth and parenting as well as the Lamaze Six Healthy Birth Practices.
Exam Prep Course
This online course, available in English and in Spanish, allows you to practice your test taking skills and try your hand at several questions similar to the ones you may find on the Lamaze exam. It also provides information regarding the seven Lamaze competencies, how the exam is constructed, and helpful tips on how to study for the exam.
The Lamaze Educator Essentials were created to offer an alternative for experienced educators to learn and understand the Lamaze approach to childbirth education and in circumstances when attending a live seminar is not an option. Learn more about the three modules:
Developing Evidence-Based Childbirth Education Classes Using the Lamaze Healthy Birth Practices
Professional Role of the Lamaze Childbirth Educator
Lamaze International has developed a list of core recommended readings for Lamaze Certification Exam candidates. This list is compiled for use in conjunction with the Learning Guide. Each of these texts contains pertinent information for the childbirth educator in the areas of pregnancy, labor support, breastfeeding and early parenting.
- Goer, Henci & Romano, Amy. (2012). Optimal care in childbirth. Seattle, WA: Classic Day.
- Lothian, Judith & DeVries, Charlotte. (2017, third edition). Giving birth with confidence - The official Lamaze guide. New York, NY: Meadowbrook Press.
- Simkin, Penny, Bolding, April, Keppler, Ann, Durham, Janelle, & Whalley, Janet. (2016). Pregnancy, childbirth, and the newborn. New York, NY: Meadowbrook Press. There is also a companion website to this book: www.PCNGuide.com.*
- One of the following breastfeeding books:
- La Leche League. (2010). Womanly art of breastfeeding. Schaumburg, IL: La Leche League.
- Mohrbacher, N. & Kendall-Tacket, K. (2010). Breastfeeding made simple. Oakland, CA: NewHarbinger Publications.
- Newman, J. & Pitman, T. (2014). Jack Newman’s Guide to breastfeeding. London, UK: Pinter &Martin.
- Amis, Debby & Green, Jeanne. (2015). Lamaze Toolkit for Childbirth Educators. Washington, DC: Lamaze International. (Note: The Toolkit is an online resource and is included with the purchase of the Lamaze Learning Guide).